Thursday, April 30, 2009

Not Cool Mr. President



I found this post on one of my daily reads Autismville and I think it pretty much sums things up....

Autism Awareness Sibling Style

Amy brought me this letter today, asking if we could mail it to the President. I thought it was worth sharing.

She's eight, but she has a lot on her mind, that one...

******

Dear Barack Obama,

When you said the thing about the Special Olympics, it really hurt my family. My little brother, Jack, has autism and we felt like you made a joke out of him. He's a great person. Sure, he has autism. But he's the same as anyone else in the world. I think he's the best little brother in the whole world and he shouldn't be made fun of.

I am in third grade and my little brother gets notices about kindergarten but he can't go to my school. A lot of people in public make fun of him, and it makes me feel bad. My brother doesn't even seem to understand that people think that he's dumb or stupid. He is practically normal, but it's just something in his brain that makes him different.

Really, he's not dumb or stupid at all, but he is unique.

Now a lot of people think it's okay to make fun of people with special needs. But I think that people with special needs are strong, because they have a hard time learning. But they're trying their best.

Sincerely,

Amy Ursitti

No comments: