Thursday, February 28, 2008

Bug Spirits


So today we had to have and in depth discussion on the spirits of bugs. My London LOVES bugs, she is forever looking for, finding and collecting bugs dead or alive. Since Santa is cool and shops at Toys to Grow On she got a "Bug Kit" for Christmas. We are talking real bugs (Stink Bugs, Wasps, Dung Beatles- yes, you read me right); all perfect specimens encased in small clear plastic blocks for 360 viewing with a very special magnifying glass. These bugs have graced my kitchen table for more time than I care to admit in her quest for knowledge about bugs. She will tell anyone and everyone the highly technical information "Did you know dung beetles eat...POOP??!"

So anyway, today her ever evolving mind wants to know..."If bugs go to heaven when they die, why are these bugs still right here in my bug kit??"...... Followed by discussion of separation between body and spirit- yes, even a dung beetle has a spirit. All this before 8AM.


Luke has now discovered a new show called How is it Made? It is a show for adults, but has captivated this almost 6 year old. He now purposefully comes in my sewing room, looks at my dress makers dummy and proceeds to tell me the details of mannequin-making (not to mention bell-making, solid surface counter top-making, sheet metal-making and many other -makings). Now everything he does could be a script for this show, yesterday he made his own episode "Raisin-Making: From Grape to Publix". These are definitely my Sweet Scientist Babies.


After trying to outfit both of my babes in matching brother/sister ensembles for the past 3 years, I was bursting with excitement about the birth of my niece last year. My mind was whirling, creating closet-fulls of matching cousin sets. Baby Amy celebrated her first birthday a few weeks ago and I did not miss the opportunity to do some matchy-matchy.



No comments: